Thursday, August 04, 2005

A point to ponder: TAP WATER-- should we drink it ?



"The tap water in Yokohama is purified so that it is safe to drink".
That was what we could read in the Yokohama City Guide website or book. I believed it. (Why shouldn't I?). So I never boil the water from the tap but drink it directly (but of course I still use the glass). Therefore I let my son swallow the water whenever he takes a shower and pretends to brush his teeth but actually only tries his new skills of drinking from the flowing tap water.

But then I begin to question the safety of the water. (if you happen to be Japanese living in Yokohama and read this, perhaps you can at least put down your comment). If it is so safe that we can drink it, why would not the Japanese themselves drink the water?

I have some Japanese friends who sometimes come to give us a visit. First, my husband's tutor* , Kazu. As a foreigner student, my husband is given a tutor to help him with the language and culture of Japan. When he visited us , I served the tap water in a glass. He said thank you but he did not even touch the glass.Eventhough I also served him some food to eat and I'm sure he needs something to drink after the meal, he did not drink the water. I could not make him do it.

Second, Hiroko, one of my husband's friend in aikido club. After the dinner I served, she did not drink the water. I'm pretty sure she needs to drink after the hot fried rice I served. She just smiled friendly saying," thank you" but not drinking the water. I said "dozo" many times, still I could not make her do it.

Third, my student, Chie. The student of mine is actually the wife of my husband's thesis advisor. She comes to my house to learn English once a week at the day time. You probably can imagine how hot it is the day time during the summer. The temperature ranges from 34-37 degree celcius. For the energy and cost saving reason, I don't turn on the aircon much. I just leave the windows and door open hoping that the wind will blow and reduce the temperature (in fact there is no wind at all). Chie would only drink juice or any drink from the carton pack I served but not the tap water. I tried different strategies. First, I let her see that I pour the water from the tap directly. It did not work. Secondly, I already put the water in a glass before she came. Then I served her the drink. Know what happen? She would rather suffer from her thirst rather than drinking it by saying , " Thank you". She still does not drink the water.

I know I need more people as respondents to claim that JAPANESE DON'T DRINK TAP WATER. So far, those evidence I have become a heated up discussion topic between my husband and me. To him, I should learn the conduct of serving drink in Japanese culture-- perhaps I need to put the water in a jug or the visitors relationship with the hosts also affects it for whaterever it means. The way I see it, that must be something wrong with the tap water or Japanese just drink ocha or other liquids but not tap water.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

*The tutor is usually also a student of Yokohama University from the same department and his/her resposibilitiy is to help the foreign student understand the procedures, regulation and all the knick-knack of living in Japan. He/she could be asked to accompany the foreign student to go to the government office or other places to deal with other Japanaese whose majority are not speaking English

2 comments:

Mariskova said...

Japanese bring a jug to a supa or any store nearby that provides free mineral water. They only need to buy the jug once, but the water is free. They boil water, or they go to this store to get this drinking water.
At least that's what happen in Honjo, a very small city in the middle of Japan.

Kenny Sanjaya said...

In yokohama no supa provides such service.