Monday, March 22, 2010

Upon Books and Magazines and Friends

I love reading , correction : collecting , books. Books can spend me a fortune. I feel secure having them as my reference.  I always go back to my books when I need some information. Proudly will lend friends some of them as they ask about certain things. I feel comfortable checking the table of content, index and all that I need. And  I always come back to them. They never bore me. They are plain, no tricky fonts nor pictures, no ads. Just as it is.

You might ask : how about magazines? Well, I might grab them when I was in the beauty salon, desperately waiting for my hairstylist. I do not seem to find the reason to buy or even worse to collect them. Magazines are not for me to keep. I take a glimpse on them, might try to like them, but I never succeed.

Friends, to me, fall to two categories : the book and magazine types, if I may compare. Let me define it for you.

The book friends do not mean they are the bookworms, though. To me the book ones are the ones who resemble the quality and value book : as it is. They are plain and are not meant for entertainment. They do not strive so hard for me to take a look at. They have solid cover, exact position in certain location in my heart. They are there, constantly, and easy to be found, with the map to their heads, opinions, and feeling as clear as the table of content and index in a book. They are meant to be there, in my bookshelf, as my reference, anytime I need to. They remain the same : in terms of quality and endurance. They persistently  agree or disagree with me. Again, as it is.

The magazines types of friends come in seasons. In different theme and colors. When I am on their sides, they'll publish the issues about me, even pictures with special fonts. But then they are like magazines : superficial. Again, in season. When the season is off, you are a history. That's what they are. And maybe, just like I do to any magazines, I will say " Oh ya, I have them, but I don't see the point why I should keep them". Anyway, what people do with old magazines?

When some people say "Books and friends should be few, but good ones", I'd rather say "Books should stay, magazines go away".

And, like the magazines I never buy, some friends will still lend me. It's more fun that way.
So, today, I will return all the magazines friends some have lent me. Nothing personal, but, sorry, I wont keep them as my reference. They are merely just magazines.They do not last forever.

No comments: