Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Goodbye Gumyoji (Part Three)

We are counting down the days to move out-- it's 11 days to go. Sigh.

We've told you about the people and the spots in the Foreign Student House. Allow us to share with you some stories around this area.

It's similar to this Yokohama Dori Shotengaiwhat they call Gumyoji market (Gumyoji Shotengai). Very clean, very convenient, very safe (no pickpocket). Look at the rooftop. It gives shade during hot summer or rainy days, perhaps essential during winter--unfortunately we won't have the chance to go here then. Another special thing is there are some speakers around the area that we can listen to the instrumental songs--most of the time Beatles song such as "All my Loving".

There are two stores which were closed before we even moved out. One is 55 Photo where we used to buy disposable camera for only 450 yen and have the film transferred to the CD for 1000 yen. Second one is the fish shop (Sakana-ya) which sell fresh fish (3 slices for 320 yen), octopus(tako), cuttle fish(ika) for 280 yen, etc. The sakana-san would beckon us by shouting loudly. Many times they managed to wake Wisnu up who was sleeping on his stroller. These two stores offer cheaper price than their competitors--perhaps that's why they are out of the business.

We do not know what they call this kind of store but this is where we ran to when we were too hungry to wait for me to cook but had no much money to eat out after going out from hospital or about to go out to the park.
Look at the mouth watering food they offer.All kinds of fries: prawn(ebi), cuttlefish(ika), sweet potato (satsuma imo), eggplant(nasu). They also have the ready-made food or bento and some other dishes like all kinds of salad, home recipe food like spinach sprinkled with sesame seeds, pumpkin, fried noodles, etc. The best thing to go here is they smile a lot and are very patient dealing with Japanese mute like me. I just need to point out at the food I want since I can read the price tag and use my fingers to decide how much I want. The shopkeepers would respond in Japanese. My husband is luckier since he has more vocabularies and they smile more to him.

Another shop is this shoes store. On the first days we set our foot in Japan, wisnu did not have shoes. I forgot to take Wisnu's shoes back in the luggage when I tried to put in some stuffs because it was so full that even after I stood on the top of the luggage I can't zip it. We bought sandals for wisnu here for 1500 yen. That was the most expensive stuff I bought for wisnu as in Indonesia his shoes or sandals would only cost me 30,000 yen or 330 yen.

Here comes another one-- the shop which sells traditional wear.We bought yukata, obi and the socks for our niece's birthday here. It was in the early summer and was still expensive, but we might not have the summer collection available if we wait to buy later before we leave Japan. It's for a birthday present so it's just got to be special, right Alexa? (We just hope that you could figure out how to wear them and find the right occasion to show it off to your friends, our dearest Alexa). Ever since we bought the yukata, the shop owner recognized my face. Especially everytime I pass the store, I took time to check the price of jimbe and touch some of the collection with admiration. I know I can't afford it. It went on like two months until one fine Saturday afternoon we passed the store and saw the tag" 10 % discount". The store owner sweetly greeted us "konichiwa". I said to my husband," Could you tell him that we are waiting for 50 % discount". My husband grinned. I think the shop owner has been waiting for this chance and he said " 10 % discount". I smiled at him and said, "We are waiting for 50% discount". He was surprised. Indeed. He said," e? 50%? nai". I knew it I can't push my luck. We were about to leave the store until the owner said" 20 %". My husband and I laughed. I said, "No. Thank you". Hurriedly the owner said "30 % then". My husband and I glanced at each other. I've been planning to buy jimbe for Subhan but...I did not know what to think until the shop owner hurried into his store and came out with some color choices. Well.. My husband said, " So you're buying one for Subhan? I think I'd like to have one too". So we bought two sets. What a bargain! We could have got jimbe made in China for cheaper price at Uni Glo but this store sells special jimbe with classic Japanese pattern.

What makes this market special? In our new place , there will be supa(supermarket) and combini (convenient stor/drug store) which offers of course, higher prices, and impersonal relationship. What makes it worse is I will not be able to go out for window shopping as the market is so far and located at the top of a hill. Moreover it's going to be cold winter--too cold to go out with a no-cold-resistant-baby like Akira and asthmatic boy like Wisnu.

It only took 6 months to make you feel at home. When we started to get used to things around here, we have to move out. And later, after 6 months getting used to the things there, we are returning to Indonesia. That's life.

No comments: