Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Something to adopt from the Japanese

We are vey much impressed by the service the Japanese provide. Almost everywhere we go, any Japanese we meet seem to have certain attitudes toward their work. Is it because they are wellpaid? Is it because they have 'pride' in doing their job?


In the 100 yen shop (similar to value dollar shop in S'pore or Jakarta) I found a set of Winnie the Pooh spoon, fork and chopstick for Wisnu. When my husband paid at the cashier, without asking our approval, the cashier rushed to change the item with the finely plastick wrapped. Not that I am not proud of being Indonesian, but perhaps the cashiers in our stores will not bother looking at it , let alone changing it with the one in the better condition.

Last week we went to the florist to get some flowers for tilem offering. We stood there for awhile trrying to locate the cheapest flowers because the price ranges from 500 to thousands yen. Finally we could get the bunch of lovely roses for only 350 yen. Before we paid the flowers, the florist open the paper wrap and checked the condition of the flowers. Quickly she found out that two stems were broken and replaced them with the fresh ones. Stunning !!! It did not really influence her whether we only bought the cheapest item.

One day at the cafetaria of Shinmin Byoin Hospital, Wisnu and I could not get any seat during lunch. the cafetaria has two corners: one for the hospital staffs and the other one is for visitors. I just stood in front of the cashier as I saw that there was no chance for a pregnant woman and a two-year old child to squeeze in the crowded corner. I did not ask for help because I did not know how to in Japanese. I did not have to wait long until the cashier with her gesture showed me the way to sit among the doctors and nurses. She even pushed Wisnu's stroller to help me get in and took a high chair for Wisnu to eat.

If we need to get documents either from the ward Office or Immigration office, we could get them done on the same day. My husband said that the officer stayed until 5 pm to finalize the papers eventhough the closing time was 4.30. They do not complain. No extra fees. No grudges.

picture : http://plato.acadiau.ca

I think we will take those attitude home...and promise not to complain if others do not share the same values... (the latter is the hardest!!!)

No comments: