Saturday, September 10, 2005

Goodbye Gumyoji (Part Two)

Besides the office staffs of Gumyoji Foreign Student House, there are some favorite corners we will surely miss.

Number one, is this backyard garden. It is the nearest site which could change our mood.
Many times Wisnu and I did not have a chance to go out of our dorm, but the sounds of many animals like the crows during the springs, semi during the summer create good moments of conversation. Wisnu would play at our veranda and comment on those animals--the sound, figures, anything. I always keep the curtain open to invite winds and avoid turning on the aircon too often due to the expensive electricity bills. Unlike our friend who lives in apartment in Honjo, we can smell the rain here! As told in our previous posts, Wisnu play swing and chase the butterflies here, and I should say I could make Wisnu eat his lunch during the picky-eater days here.

Second,this hall. Let's just name it waving alley. Why? Because here I usually take Wisnu to wave his father away. I would carry Wisnu in my arms and stand at the window, while Akira was crying and Wisnu would shout" aji...". Sometimes he sobs upon his father's departure.
Wisnu likes to tease me by pretending to knock at our Korean neighbor's door and saying" knock,knock" and he shook his head with big smile on his face uttering " ibu, bukan, momo" he means 'it's not our room but momo's room'.

Third, this vending machine and the pay phone.
We pass this place everytime we go out of our room. Sandy was the one who introduced Wisnu to the idea of putting the coin in and bingo you got a bottle of tea. Wisnu would always try to ask money from me for the tea everytime we pass this place. He would say, " ibu/aji, uang, teh, teh" which means "Give me a hundred yen for the tea, please". Sometimes he cried for I most of time would refuse his request. Some other times he would be contented to insert one or five yen coins in and take them out again and again. Lately he could copy some of our sentences and come up with" gak ada uang, ambil" which means " no money, take it " because one day I said "I have no money" and "Let's turn right to the bank, we are running out of cash. We are taking some before we go". He seems to be good at combining effective sentences :)

About the pay phone, I had some unforgettable moments here. I used this pay phone to call my parents backhome and there were times I tried hard to hold back my tears upon listening to their voices. God, that's why they say "the absence makes the heart grow fonder". This pay phone also the witness for some critical moments such as when Wisnu had a diarrhea and I tried to call my husband but at no vail. Moreover, the night when I had the contraction before giving birth to Akira, I tried to reach my husband's cellphone desperately but he did not pick his phone up. Thank to Devina who had tried to get my husband connected after our chatting during my progressive contraction.

The last, but the most important place: the washing and drying room which has saved us a lot. Wisnu and I had very limited collection of clothes. When there were no clean clothes to wear it means it's high time for washing. Hocuspocus in 50 minutes we'll have all clothes ready.
Don't tell anyone that this place is my contemplation site. Indeed. I ran here to keep my sanity when my hormones really play my emotion. It never downed on me that it could be sooo relaxing watching the spinning clothes.


Sob. Goodbye Gumyoji.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.